Exemplary work is standard at Morrison Foerster, but as its nickname, "MoFo" suggests, the firm—and its lawyers—don’t take themselves too seriously. The firm, including 17 global offices and more than 1,000 attorneys, excels in many practice areas, including IP and privacy, and is a stand-out in the pro bono area, assisting in a wide range of matters. Diversity and related initiatives are key at Morrison Foerster as well, as DEI activities can count toward work hours.
Total No. Attorneys (2023)
No. of Partners Named (2023)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2023)
No. of Summer Associates (2023)
Morrison & Foerster LLP has been around since the 1880s, but don’t think of it as stodgy and set in its ways. With more than 1,000 attorneys worldwide, it’s clear that it’s a desirable professional destination. New associates typically come from top law schools and have good grades, but the firm is also looking for people who communicate well and are intellectually curious. New hires should be easy-going and able to fit into Morrison Foerster’s laid-back style. The office atmosphere is positive and welcoming while staying professional. Partners are approachable and treat associates like colleagues, and seem to be interested in feedback from and the development of junior attorneys. Formal training is sufficient, to...
With 1,000+ lawyers across 18 offices in the United States, Europe, and Asia, Morrison Foerster is a leading global law firm dedicated to delivering business-oriented results to clients around the world. Large financial institutions, Fortune 100 companies, and leading technology and life sciences companies choose MoFo for our diverse persp...
About the Firm
In 1973, those cats in San Fran approved “MoFo” as Morrison & Foerster LLP’s official nickname, accentuating the firm’s unconventional modus operandi. Still, the firm is distinguished by much more than its rebel epithet. Morrison Foerster complements its expertise in IP, finance, life sciences, technology, and litigation with a long reach across the Pacific Rim and, more recently, into Europe.
From the Golden Gate to the Great Wall
More than 120 years ago, Alexander Morrison and Thomas V. O’Brien founded the firm that became today’s Morrison Foerster in San Francisco. It wasn’t until the early 1960s that the firm ventured away from Northern California, hopping on for the ride when one of its major San Francisco clients, Crocker National Bank, decided to open an LA office....
- “The firm's culture is the best part about being a MoFo attorney. Everyone (in my office) is very laid-back and easy to talk to. Mentoring is treated seriously here, and there are tons of opportunities to foster relationships with senior associates and partners.”
- “I have never met a kinder, more brilliant, hardworking, and caring group of attorneys. The partners, counsel, associates, and paralegals foster an incredibly collaborative and positive environment, which extends far beyond individual practice groups. I know that I can count on others to cover for me on matters when personal issues or events come up, and people are very respectful of those situations. We also handle cutting edge and extremely interesting matters for a wide range of clients. I'm continually impressed every day, and I feel very lucky to work here.”
- “Congenial, light hearted with people, but serious with work. I feel like my colleagues are more well rounded than most stereotypical lawyers. Everyone has hobbies and/or families and are not ashamed to discuss them.”
Why Work Here
The World of MoFo
Morrison Foerster is an international firm with over 1000 lawyers in key technology and financial centers in the U.S., Europe and Asia. Founded in 1883, the firm’s dedication to clients is reflected in the firm’s mantra that it is every lawyer’s responsibility to provide clients with “legendary service.” Clients include some of the largest financial institutions, Fortune 100 companies, investment banks and technology and life science companies. The firm is consistently included as one of America’s top 20 law firms in The American Lawyer’s A-List. Their practitioners are recognized by their peers in reference guides including IFLR1000, PLC Cross-border Handbooks, Chambers Global and Legal 500. The firm is consistently recognized for its commitment to the community and pro bono, recently honored by the Pro Bono Institute's John H. Pickering Award, given in recognition of the firm's unwavering commitment to pro bono. PBI highlighted the firm's recent pro bono victories, including a ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court protecting juveniles from life sentences without parole in non-homicide offenses, and another case securing the release of a man wrongly imprisoned for 20 years.
Diversity at Morrison & Foerster LLP
Getting Hired Here
- “Academic achievements (e.g., school attended and GPA), work history, and clerkships are important factors.”
- “The firm looks for qualified, intelligent candidates with excellent resumes, but also puts a high emphasis on hiring people who fit with and appreciate the firm's culture and values and are personable, kind, and easy to get along with. The firm values individuality and the unique skills and personality traits each new hire brings to the firm.”
- “The hiring process varies by office. Grades (and school) are obviously big factors, but beyond that I think MoFo emphasizes cultural fit. There are feeder schools. There [has been] training [since before] I started interviewing years ago...”