Shearman & Sterling offers high-level legal work coupled with supportive teammates and strong mentorship. For those seeking international experience, the firm’s global presence means exciting cross-border work and travel opportunities
Total No. Attorneys (2022)
No. of Partners Named (2021)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2022)
No. of Summer Associates (2022)
At Shearman & Sterling, professionalism is paramount. Associates describe the culture as smart, collegial, considerate, and kind, with a strong emphasis on respecting the boundaries of people’s personal lives. Partners are approachable and collaborative, and associates appreciate their transparency when it comes to providing feedback both informally and through the associate review process. The hours are typical for BigLaw but without a billable hours requirement—although associates do report some confusion about whether an unspoken billable hour requirement exists. Even so, associates do not find the hours excessive, and they love the high degree of flexibility they are allowed in terms of when and where they get their work done. The work is engaging and, thanks to a dedi...
At Shearman & Sterling, we are committed to attracting, retaining and advancing a diverse population of top lawyers and professionals. We understand the importance of embracing cultural and personal differences in order to work successfully in today’s global marketplace. We encourage our lawyers and business services professionals ...
About the Firm
Shearman & Sterling is one of the world’s leading law firms, serving the domestic and cross-border needs of an impressive roster of clients. With approximately 850 lawyers in 25 offices across North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East, the firm has an enviable blend of prestige, prowess, and reach.
Over 145 years ago, prominent lawyers Thomas Shearman and John Sterling locked hands in partnership, combining two legendary reputations to lay down a law firm’s foundation. Shearman & Sterling didn’t waste any time establishing itself—soon after the firm’s birth, it began forging relationships with Wall Street’s most commanding companies and personalities: The firm’s first client was Jay Gould, and Jim Fisk followed soon after. These ...
- “Shearman lawyers are known for being extremely professional and courteous. It is common for folks to pop into my office to chat for 5 minutes. We genuinely like each other.”
- “Everyone is very friendly and professionally respectful of boundaries. Something that's stood out to me is that everyone from every level (partner to more senior associates) will take the time to explain assignments and will show an immense amount of patience and understanding if you don't understand a concept, especially as a more junior member of the team. While you are expected to take your work seriously and perform well, as in any big firm, if you do something wrong and act responsibly to remedy your mistake, every person I've interacted with has explained the mistake or given feedback in a very respectful and helpful manner.”
- “Very friendly and collaborative environment with approachable partners.
Why Work Here
Shearman's commitment to Pro Bono has won the firm wide recognition.
Shearman was one of the New York firms to provide Pro Bono assistance to victims of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. The firm advised residential and commercial tenants who were unable to return to their homes and businesses because of the attacks, and the private client group advised on trust and estate issues. Special recognition went to the firm's successful campaign to win compensation for a woman whose common-law husband died in the World Trade Center. Common-law marriages aren't recognized in New York State, making the woman ineligible under initial rules; Shearman eventually secured recognition of the marriage and compensation from the fund set up for victims and their families. Shearman continues to represent the families of more than 20 victims, many of which are low-income, immigrant families.
Diversity at Shearman & Sterling LLP
Getting Hired Here
- “[The firm is looking for] good school, good grades, real life experience, diversity, and ability to communicate well.”
- “They really love people who have broad and diverse experiences, especially significant international experience. Your coworkers will be far from cookie-cutter law school grads, and that makes life more fun and interesting.”
- “S&S is looking for people who distinguish themselves at law school, especially in the NY area.”