Private Equity Financial Managers
Exploring this Job
You can learn more about the business world and private equity by reading publications such as
- Barron’s (https://www.barrons.com)
- Bloomberg Businessweek (https://www.bloomberg.com/businessweek)
- The Wall Street Journal (https://www.wsj.com)
- Wharton Private Equity Review (https://kw.wharton.upenn.edu/private-equity/category/pe-review)
Participate in finance clubs in high school and college, and volunteer to manage the finances of one of these organizations.
Talk to financial managers about their careers. Ask them the following questions:
- What do you like most and least about your career?
- What’s the best way to land a job in the private equity industry?
- How are job duties changing for private equity financial professionals, and what can I do in college to prepare for these changes?
The financial management team at a large private equity firm typically consists of a chief financial officer (CFO), a financial controller, a funds administrator, and one or more accountants and auditors. At a small PE firm, there may be just one financial manager—a CFO—who is responsible for all non-investment, financial duties. Typical responsibilities of financial managers include:
- handling financial management tasks, such as budgeting, capital expenditure planning, tracking cash flow, tax, reconciling bank accounts, allocating income to limited and general partners in accordance with terms of partnership agreements, and preparing various financial reviews and reports
- working with compliance professionals to manage compliance and regulatory issues
- working with risk managers to assess and address areas of financial risk
- establishing and maintaining financial records systems in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards and accounting principles
- monitoring, evaluating, and improving their employer’s internal accounting controls
- developing short- and long-term financial plans for their organizations
- overseeing accounting and auditing services at portfolio companies
- assisting in the annual auditing process