Marakon Associates is a corporate strategy consulting firm that helps CEOs and their leadership teams achieve winning performance and build stronger organizations. A small firm, it offers its consultants more exposure to clients and the ability to take on additional challenges through stretch assignments. The company is an excellent place to begin one’s consulting career or work up to partner. For those with strong analytical and interpersonal skills, Marakon Associates might be the perfect place.
Major Departments/Practice Areas
Major Office Locations
Marakon Associates is a small firm that makes a big impact. Due to its size, this firm offers its consultants more exposure to clients and the ability to take on additional challenges through stretch assignments. Consultants find themselves working on a variety of projects versus sticking to a particular niche.
Morale is high at this firm, and this is attributed to the engaging and intellectually challenging aspects of the work as well as the high caliber of colleagues. Insiders describe their coworkers as diverse, fun, passionate, and an incredibly smart group of young professionals. Workloads can be lumpy, and travel is generally required, but managers endeavor to prevent burnout.
Consultants at Marakon are satisfied with their compensation, p...
About the Company
Founded in 1978 and acquired by Charles River Associates (CRA) in 2009, Marakon has maintained its mission throughout the years: partnering with senior executives at some of the world's largest and most dynamic companies to drive sustainable value growth.
Marakon does not provide "one size fits all" industry solutions. They work closely with their clients—constructively challenging their current strategies and providing tailored insight-based advice. Their approach is built upon active engagement and joint accountability with clients, which only works for companies who are willing to "roll up their sleeves." But it hasn't seemed to scare too much business away. Marakon's client list includes big names like Merck, Barclays, Boeing, BP, Gillette, Roche, Nestle, Nordstrom, Danone, and McDonald's....
2023 Vault Rankings
- “Due to our smaller size there is minimal bureaucracy and consultants can progress fast given stretch roles and high access to clients.”
- “Early responsibilities and deep analyses for clients, early interactions with managers and executives."
- “Everyone contributes to the thinking.”
- “Great place for me to start my career, learn about a variety of business strategies and industries, and work with high-caliber colleagues.”
- "Marakon is great for building an essential skill set you need in business and management. While the firm is small, the type of work is extremely interesting, intellectually challenging, and of substantial impact. On top of that, you will like the people you meet here--they are smart, humble, fun!”
- “Small firm means flatter organization and greater exposure to senior leadership and clients early on in career.”
Getting Hired Here
- “Typical two rounds. Two interviews the first round, three interviews the second round. Ideal candidate needs to be well rounded. Strong analytics but ability to step back and see the big picture. Good strategic instincts and willingness to put forth a point of view and support it with facts. Genuine, personable, and mature. Good communicator and good team player.”
- “Standard case and fit interviews starting with phone screen/on-campus interview followed by one or two rounds of in-person interviews. Off-cycle takes about three to four weeks.”
- “The ideal candidate structures his or her thinking, demonstrates analytical capabilities, is a team player, and can communicate effectively by listening actively, questioning thoughtfully, and articulating clearly.”
- “On-campus consists of one or two first-round interviews (case, fit), then a super day in offices with more senior consultants and partners (case, fit). Ideal candidate is highly analytical thinker who can build models in excel.”
- “We are seeking entrepreneurial, creative problem solvers with strong analytical skills that can break down a problem and enjoy putting it back together.”