As a global giant, Dentons provides a plethora of opportunities for associates to grow in their legal careers. Strong mentorship complements early responsibility, and many associates envision long-term careers at the firm.
Total No. Attorneys (2022)
No. of Partners Named (2022)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2022)
No. of Summer Associates (2021)
Dentons might be large, but associates don’t feel lost in the crowd. The firm cultivates its culture early, prioritizing “fit” and personality along with law school and grades in the hiring process. Practice groups and individual partners take an active role in creating a small-firm vibe, and associates praise the collegiality and flexibility this fosters. The daily atmosphere is one that associates describe as easygoing, with partners taking a genuine interest in the performance, development, and wellbeing of associates. This tight-knit mentality does not translate into transparency in firm management, and associates are dissatisfied with the firm’s black box compensation structure, which is generally below market. Associates feel that the firm’s 2,000-hour billable requirement i...
About the Firm
Born of a history of combinations, Dentons is the Pac-Man of law firms. The rapid growth began in 2010, when Chicago’s Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal—known for its real estate prowess—and U.K.-based Denton Wilde Sapte joined forces to create SNR Denton. Soon after launching, SNR Denton set its sights on Europe and Canada, courting Salans Hertzfeld & Heilbronn and Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP (FMC). The March 2013 mega-combination of these three firms—SNR Denton, Salans and FMC—created Dentons. The new law firm was immediately one of the world’s largest with locations in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., continental Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa. But the firm wasn’t done. In January 2015, the partners of Dentons and 大成 (pronounced Da-CHUNG)—the largest law firm in China—announced the approval of an historic combination between the ...
2023 Vault Rankings
- “The firm culture is exactly what I would want. While a large firm, the day-to-day activities and structure are predominantly left to the practice group. This provides flexibility that one would only expect with a smaller firm. The lawyers and staff are great together. The office is professional and a great environment in which to work, with a number of events and sponsored activities that one can attend when scheduling permits. It is an ideal atmosphere.”
- “Colleagues are cordial and interested in hearing about an associate's life outside of work. There is an easygoing culture that provides a good balance. Partners are understanding of staff needs, especially dealing with the pandemic.”
- “The firm, to its credit, has been wonderful during the pandemic. I had calls from one or two partners just to check in as part of a firm program. Various Zooms, family Zoom events (a magician for one), and desk happy hours were part of our life over the last two years. Separately, I truly do work with some of the nicest, kindest people, and enjoy my coworkers very much.”
- “I am proud of my firm for pushing the partners to organize gatherings. There are at least two gatherings that are set in my calendar already, organized by the partners for the simple task of just having a corporate group gathering to relax and chat. It has brought many of us closer and kept everyone in the loop with our projects.”
Diversity at Dentons
Getting Hired Here
- “The most important factor is a willingness to learn. New hires, particularly at the junior level, are not expected to have substantive practice area-specific experience or knowledge prior to joining. We are very open to ‘less traditional’ career path hires as well.”
- “Typically, new associates are hired through the on-campus recruiting process, via the summer associate program. This requires applicants to be high-ranking in their class, participate in a journal, and otherwise show initiative through extracurricular activities. Prior work experience also seems to be preferred.”
- “I believe the firm is competitive and also looks for hires with a diverse array of experiences. The firm hires from law schools around the country.”